Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nepal Adventure: setting out.

This all started after completing a 2 year photographic course. I was talking to my tutor (David) at his flat and noticed a black and white photo of a sherpa trekking in the Himalayas. David raved about his experience and photographic opportunities and said if I had a chance I should go.

I have regular reflexology sessions and my reflexologist has visited Nepal for many years, during which time she has sponsored the education of girls to prevent them from marrying at too early an age (often as young as 12). This has been a passion of hers and I started to formulate a plan.

When I told David about this lady his reaction was " What a great photographic project, you will get some stunning images and we can mount an exhibition when you return."

As you can imagine this idea would satisfy 2 of my passions. However there were some potential pitfalls!

Firstly, my reflexologist hates having her photo taken!

Secondly, being happily married and never having gone on holiday without my wife during 13 years of marriage, how would she feel?
As my wife hates climbing / trekking and the thought of "roughing it" doesn't appeal, it was obvious from the outset that she would not want to go. However, would she let me go?

She fully understands my passion for photography. She has been very encouraging and supportive, both during my night school course and after it ended. I am currently training and learning the art of wedding photography with David. I recently "flew solo" and did my 1st wedding shoot for him.
So, it was no surprise when she encouraged me to plan my trip.This was well over a year ago.

Sue, my reflexologist was asked if she minded me doing this project. Apart from a few reservations re having her photo taken and being the centre of attention, she was very enthusiastic.

Plans were made and travel dates arranged. My wife, Sandra, decided to break up the time whilst I was away by going on holiday for a week with 2 of our friends. This was booked.

Her initial reservation was that we would be apart for 2 weeks, so her being on holiday whilst I was in Nepal would take away some of the potential lonliness she would feel.

Due to a late change of dates and flight availability it now transpires that we will be apart for 3 weeks. She travels to Spain on the 18th Oct, returning 25th Oct. I leave on 25th Oct and return 9th Nov.
The trip is almost upon us, and I cannot wait.

Background work has started, I recently went to one of the many talks Sue does on this work at her local Conservative Club. She spoke for approx 1 hour and money was raised to send out to sponsor her "children"
Photos were taken and everyone who attended found the talk interesting and enlightening.

No comments: