Up early due to being unable to sleep.Good really as the taxi was booked for 6am.Driver finally arrived at 6.30.In the meantime the sun had risen, the mountains were bathed in subshine and it seemed as if Nepal was saying to me "now you are leaving, we can show off our scenery to it's best advantage and you won't be able to take a photo!"
This would havve been the day to be on the lake early!!!!
Loaded up the car and off we set.As we drove out of Pokhara the mountains really were a sight to behold. I managed to get some great photos of the range from the roadside, so I was very pleased.
It seemed that Pokhara was reminding me of what fantastic scenery it had to offer to ensure that I returned at some time in the future.
Our journey was very good,a little more traffic than the previous ones. More lorries and buses, but we made good time. We stoppped at a place called River Springs Resort, just past Mugling. It was a really nice spot, on the river, with it's own swimming pool. Breakfast was good and well needed as we had been travelling for a few hours.
We set off again and our driver stopped in a small town to have his "dal bat".Rice and lentil soup, the staple diet of most Nepalese.It is often accompanied with vegetables, sometimes fish or meat, but only if you are rich or very fortunate!
The town had a street market with some colourful stalls selling fruit and veg.There were a couple of street sellers with some weird fish things.They looked like fish heads coated in some batter/breadcrumbs.Weird.
The drive got slower as we neared Kathmandu. The road became more twisting and winding, as well as hilly. This made it difficult to pass lorries and buses but the plus side was the scenery! Some more great views of the Himalaya.
We finally arrived at the outskirts of Kathmandu.I had forgotten how manic this place is!!!
After the tranquillity of Sauraha and Pokhara this was bedlam.Horns tooting, cars, bikes and motorcycles everywhere. It was noisy, dusty, busy and frantic,a great place!
Ramsharam was at the hotel to meet us.He was very pleased to see us arrive safe and sound.Arranged to meet him later this evening for dinner at Kilroy's.
Sorted out the pashminas and CDs I wanted to buy, changed up some travellers cheques,had lunch in Pilgrim's.
Had a shave and a shower, heaven after the cold water in Pokhara!
Sat in the terrace area and had a well deserved beer and updated my journal. the staff were all pleased to see me back, I was even in the same room, felt like I had never been away really.
Met Ramsharam in Kilroy's, had a great meal as usual.I had liver and bacon with pesto mash, really good.
Had a pleasant evening talking about my time in Nepal and how much I enjoyed it.
Back to the hotel to settle the bill. Only £50 approx for my 5 night stay! So cheap for a place in the centre of town.
Ramsharam will meet me just before 7am tomorrow and take me to the airport.
Said my goodbyes to Sue and Reggie,I leave too early to say goodbye in the morning.
Updated journal and again watched the English footie on the box till the early hours. I knew I wouldn't sleep so just as well really.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment