Friday, November 7, 2008

Sauraha fourth day

Another early start! Today was the day for my elephant safari!
Keshab took me to the pick up point on his motorcycle, he was very careful not to drive too fast and avoided the inevitable bumps and potholes with great care.
We piled onto a jeep and were taken to the start point in the National park.
Keshab had follwed on his bike and ensured I got the best seat at the front. You sit on the corner of the basket with your legs hanging down either side of a support strut. Not very comfortable!
There was the usual chaos but I heard Keshab tell the mahout "photographer, London". The mahout then said if I needed him to stop at anytime just to tell him.

There was a young Nepalese couple in the basket with me, she was sitting at the back of the elephant. Not the best place to be.Not a good view and as they eat a lot of green plants a bit of a wind problem!!!
We started of through the jungle, through lots of bush and trees. Our guide then broke away from the other elephants and took us off into denser jungle. We spotted a herd of spotted deer, bit like Bambi, bit far away and difficult to take photos. They do like to hide!
As we progressed into the jungle we saw a variety of birds and then we heard the sound of a common sound of that well known species "Nokia standard tunus". Couldn't believe it, this couple both had their mobiles switched on and answered them. Of course everyone shouts when they speak on a mobile
You could immagine the conversation:
"Where are you"
"I am on the elephant"
"Really, any holdups?"
"No, and I managed to get a seat as well"
Anyone who comutes will understand!
This happened several times on the trek, so not surprisingly we didn't see too many animals!
Rhinos can hear from over a mile away, so no chance of any of them being near.
We did see peacocks, hogsJungle monkeys and another type of deer.
The trip lasted approx 2 hours, an enjoyable experience but disappointed I did not see any rhinos!!
Had lunch at Sweet Memories and in the afternoon Reggie went for his camel ride. He was really chuffed that he did it. He had tried once before but got off before the camel could get up as he didn't feel safe but he was ok this time.
My guide on the canoe trip offered to take me on a walk in the jungle to look for rhino when I told him I had not seen any. Felt a bit tired as I had been up early for the last few days. It was also very hot and humid.

We met Keshab, family and Ramsharam for dinner at K.C's, very enjoyable. They are good company , I paid Keshab for all my trips and activities and it only came to 2500 Nrs, approx 22 Pounds!!! How bad.
Packed my case for tomorrow's trip.


No comments: